- 1.050 MMT corn imports and 600,000 MT barley imports in 2017.
- Infrequent DDGS (10,000 MT) imports due to lack of corn sales from the U.S. for possible combination shipments.
- Price sensitive market with less emphasis on quality.
- Population / growth: 6 million / 1.14%
- Urban % / growth: 04% / 1.44%
- GDP / growth (PPP): $135 billion / 2.3%
- GDP per capita (PPP): $12,000
- Political instability and the fragile security situation after the 2011 revolution are nega tively impacting tourism and foreign investment.
- Tunisian dinar constantly devaluating against other currencies.
Trade and Market Share Issues
- USGC office for the MEA region is currently located in Tunisia.
- Feed grains demand constant due to less demand from declining tourism.
- Higher competition from black sea countries.
- In 2017, barley was imported mainly from the Black Sea and France.
- In 2017, Ukraine had 39% barley market share followed by France 27%, U.K.19%, Romania 7% and Russia at 4% each.
- The market is oversupplied with eggs, chicken meat, red meat and dairy products due to producers’ excess capacity and the sluggish economy.
- There is no import duty on all feed grains except a 2.5% duty on corn and soybean meal.
- The government recently banned imports of frozen red meat.