- 18 MMT total feed production.
- Thai farmers shifting out of corn and opting instead for cassava.
- Steady recovery in shrimp production seen after Early Mortality Syndrome outbreak.
- Flattening feed production growth outlook.
- Feed production breakdown: broiler = 40%, swine = 30%, layer = 20%.
- Population / growth: 69 million / 3.5%
- Urban / growth: 52% / 1.6%
- GDP PPP: $1.229 trillion
- GDP per capita: $17,800
- Less than 1% unemployment rate due to large portion in subsistence farming.
- Heavily export dependent economy, with exports accounting for 2/3 of GDP.
- Tepid economic growth following a recession after the military coup.
Trade and Market Share Issues
- Marked improvement in DDGS exports due to high energy ingredient prices.
- Increased imports of feed wheat puts focus on mycotoxins in DDGS.
- Reliance on EU poultry exports gives buyers concern over antibiotic residue.
- Feed industry dominated by large, sophisticated buyers.
- Home to one of the world’s leading feed producers, Charoen Pokphand.
- Imports around 1 MMT of feed wheat, mostly from Ukraine.
- Trade distorting import tariff differential between DDGS (9%) and SBM (2%).
- 54,700 MT corn TRQ with 20% in quota tariff and 73% out of quota tariffs.
- Military junta still controls the country after coup d’état. 2018 is marked to end the military rule and re-instate a new government.
- No duty on imported wheat incentives imported feed wheat in feed rations.