- U.S. corn co-products main competition is other alternative imported proteins such as soybean meal and wheat.
- SEA’s 2nd largest producer of corn with about 60% yellow and 40% white.
- Ethanol demand reached 151 million gallons in 2017, with almost half coming from imports.
- 18 MMT feed market
- Population / growth: 104 million / 2.0%
- Urban / growth: 2% / 2.16%
- GDP / growth: $874.5 billion / 6.9%
- GDP per capita: $8,200
- A complex archipelago with over 7,000 islands.
- One of the fastest growing populations in Southeast Asia.
- Economy forecast to quicken in 2016 due to government projects.
- OFW (overseas Filipino workers) remittances make up 10% of the GDP.
Trade and Market Share Issues
- Imports significant amounts of U.S. wheat, some of which is used for feed purposes.
- Marginal corn importer, usually from Thailand, occasionally from U.S.
- Major U.S. ethanol importer. (4th largest market in 2017)
- End-users favor imported corn due to lower mycotoxin content.
- DDGS are imported as an alternative to higher priced local corn.
- All imports with GMO events must have biosafety certificate.
- 10% ethanol blending mandate, RA 9637 calls for E20 by 2020.
- Effective and strong ethanol mandate.
- 35% in quota duty and 50% out of quota for MFNs.
- Asian Economic Community (AEC) countries will have a 0% corn import duty.