- Steady growth of corn imports, 2 MMT in 2017.
- Decrease of local barley crop 600 TMT and imports of 400,000 MT in 2017.
- Growing imports of DDGS.
- Price-sensitive market with moderate emphasis on quality.
- Population / growth: 9 million / 1.35%
- Urban % / growth: 8% / 2.16%
- GDP / growth (PPP): $300 billion / 2.9%
- GDP per capita (PPP): $8,600
- Open-market oriented economy with good diversity (13% agriculture, 29% industry, 58% services).
- Government endorses economy reforms that resulted in low inflation and steady economic growth.
- Political stability and no security issues compared to neighboring countries to the west and the south.
- Potential to be conduit for trade to West African countries.
Trade and Market Share Issues
- Argentina is the lead corn supplier with the U.S. at second place with 42% market share.
- France and the Ukraine are the main barley exporters to Morocco.
- No barley exports from the U.S.
- Poultry and dairy are the main consumers of imported corn.
- U.S.-Morocco FTA is no longer advantageous as other export origins receive the same import duties on corn and other feed products.