- Steady corn imports, 2.5 MMT in 2019.
- Increase of local barley crop and imports of 150 TMT in 2019.
- Steady imports of DDGS and CGF, 256 TMT in 2019.
- Price-sensitive market with more emphasis on quality.
- Population / growth: 34.3 million / 0.95%
- Urban % / growth: 63% / 2.14%
- GDP / growth (PPP): $109.3 billion / 4.1%
- GDP per capita (PPP): $8,600
- Open-market oriented economy with good diversity, Morocco has increased investment in its port, transportation, and industrial infrastructure to position itself as a hub for business throughout Africa.
- Slow growth held back by a weaker agricultural sector due to rainfall deficits earlier this year.
- Political stability and no security issues compared to neighboring countries in the west and the south. Potential to be conduit for trade to West African countries.
Trade and Market Share Overview
- The Argentina is the lead corn supplier with Brazil at second place with 90% market share. U.S. Corn came third with 7% market share.
- EU. and the Ukraine are the main barley exporters to Morocco.
- No barley exports from the U.S.
- Poultry and dairy sectors are the main consumers of imported corn.
- Under terms of the U.S.-Morocco Free Trade Agreement (FTA) both Beef and Poultry from the U.S. were approved admittance to Morocco.
- U.S.-Morocco FTA provides the advantage of no tariff on corn and other feed products, compared to a 2.5% tariff applied to other export origins. This advantage is often below the price spread between U.S. and South America origins.