- Steady growth of corn imports, 2.2 MMT in 2018.
- Decrease of local barley crop 2 MMT and imports of 429 TMT in 2018.
- Growing imports of DDGS and CGF, 281 TMT in 2018.
- Price-sensitive market with moderate emphasis on quality.
- Population / growth: 36.1 million / 1.27%
- Urban % / growth: 59.9% / 1.9%
- GDP / growth (PPP): $109 billion / 3%
- GDP per capita (PPP): $7,485
- Open-market oriented economy with good diversity. Morocco has increased investment in port, transportation, and industrial infrastructure to position itself as a hub for business throughout Africa.
- Morocco’s economic growth remains sluggish in 2018 despite unexpected growth of cereal production.
- Political stability and no security issues compared to neighboring countries to the west and the south.
Trade and Market Share Issues
- The Argentina is the lead corn supplier with the U.S. at second place with 42% market share.
- E.U. and the Ukraine are the main barley exporters to Morocco.
- No barley exports from the U.S.
- Poultry and dairy are the main consumers of imported corn.
- Under terms of the U.S.-Morocco Free Trade Agreement (FTA) both beef and poultry from the U.S. were approved admittance to Morocco.
- U.S.-Morocco FTA is no longer advantageous as other export origins receive the same import duties on corn and other feed products.