- World’s fifth largest feed producer (after China, U.S., Brazil, Mexico) with average growth of 9% per year.
- World’s largest dairy herd, third largest broiler producer and fourth largest egg producer.
- Large and sophisticated starch sector that caters to India’s textile industry, as well as pharmaceutical and food sectors.
- Population / growth: 1.35 billion / 1.12%
- Urban / growth: 33.5% / 2.5%
- GDP / growth: $11.3 trillion / 8.3%
- GDP per capita (PPP): $8,378
- One of the most densely populated country. Predicted to be the most populous by 2024. More than 50% of the population is under the age of 30.
- India’s passenger vehicles market will be third largest in 2021 and India aims to reduce its carbon footprint by 30-35% by 2030.
Trade and Market Share Overview
- Industrial corn/starch industry expected to grow by 8% to almost 4.5 MMT.
- Allows use of domestically produced ethanol for blending in fuel.
- Third largest importer of U.S. industrial grade ethanol – 94% of the market share.
- 14 out of 15 Indian cities are cited as most polluted in the world, creating momentum for more fuel ethanol blending.
- National corn yields exceptionally low at 2.5 mt/ha.
- Major damage due to Fall Army worm in 2018 crop.
- Bt cotton and cotton seed meal is widely accepted and adopted. Imported co-products from GM crops not approved for feed use.
- Corn import TRQ allocations (500 TMT) are slow and ineffective, 60% out of quota duty.
- Import of fuel grade ethanol not allowed under biofuels national policy.