- Largest corn market in the region, 8.2 MMT imports in CY 2016.
- Nearly 6 MMT of local corn crop, mostly white corn.
- #1 import market for U.S. CGM importing 143 TMT in MY 2016; #12 import market for U.S. DDGS with 132 TMT in MY 2016.
- Price-sensitive market; quality less important than price.
- U.S. freight disadvantage to Black Sea export markets.
- Population: 91.5 million
- Population growth: 1.67%
- Urban %: 43.1%
- Urban growth: 2.3%
- GDP: $943.1 billion
- GDP growth: 2.2%
- GDP per capita: $10,877
- Large government debt and stagnant economy magnified by both local and regional instability.
- Government is cutting consumer subsidies gradually since 2014. Saudi Arabia and UAE continue to support Egypt economy. Mega infrastructure projects contribute to economic stimulation.
Trade and Market Share Issues
- U.S. corn market share stable at 4th place in 2016 behind Ukraine, Brazil and Argentina.
- Poultry sector leads corn demand by nearly 65% consumption followed by dairy, red meat, water buffalo and corn milling/crushing.
- The Regional Center for Food & Feed (RCFF) mirrors FGIS inspection system.
- RCFF operates as a training center for other countries in the region.
- Political instability, stagnant economy and higher inflation rate (24.3%) decreases demand.
- All feed grains and co products have zero duty except for a 5% import duty on sorghum.
- Concerns about ambrosia seeds in corn shipments has disrupted trade.