- #7 U.S. agricultural product market ($3.08 bil. or 2.37% of total in FY2016).
- #6 U.S. corn market (2.32 MMT, or 4.53% of total in FY2016).
- #4 U.S. barley market (4.97 TMT, or 3.12% of total in FY2016).
- #11 U.S. DDGS market (219.7 TM, or 1.9%of total in FY2016).
- Imported grains meet about 98% of local demand.
- Feed sector uses about 95% of imported corn.
- Swine and poultry (including duck) are major coarse grain users.
- Two wet milling plants producing HFCS, using about 5 percent of imported corn.
- Total coarse grain use declining from 5.1 MMT in 2000s to 4.3 MMT in 2010s.
- Population: 23.5 million
- Population growth: 0.23%
- GDP: $1.099 trillion
- GDP growth: 0.7%
- GDP per capita: $46,800
- Diplomatic isolation, limited land space, aging population, small agricultural sector, and dependent on imported raw materials and fuels.
Trade and Market Share Issues
- U.S. share of grain imports fallen from 97% in CY06 to 14% in CY13 and then rebounded to 43% in CY15 and 58% in CY16.
- Brazil, the major competitor, shared 40% of corn imports in CY16.
- The people 65-year-old and over accounts for 13.2 percent of Taiwan's population in 2016. Aging population means limited growth in food demand and grain imports.
- Almost all the large feed mills in Taiwan are using DDGS already; however, they tend to use low inclusion rates in animal feeds.
- Some legislators and activists had banned the applications of GM foods in school meals and are trying to revise the threshold level of GM labelling from 3 percent to 0.9 percent and revising the Food Safety and Sanitation Act to prevent dropping out of GM soybeans and GM corn from trucks during transportation.
- The Council of Agriculture (COA) is responsible for regulating biotech events for feed use and commissioned a GM feeds Advisory Group (GMFeAG) in May 2016. Yet, some committee members are pushing hard on questions and areas that are settled or should not be an issue.
Feed Grains In All Forms
Marketing Year Sep 2016/Jun 2017:View U.S. Export Data by Country
Equivalent U.S Exports 96,878,392 (MT) 20%
Value $4,412,659,756 35%
Why Trade MattersLearn More