Coarse Grain S&D
- Feed Sector currently uses 95 percent of imported feed grains.
- Feed grain imports in 2011 dipped slightly, but remained above 4.0 mmt with 66 percent U.S market share.
- DDGS imports continue to increase, gaining 32% over the previous year (145 tmt).
- Population of 23.1 million with very small population growth (0.19%) Robust economy for a small population (GDP of $430.6 billion, 19th largest in the the world).
- Very high GDP growth at 10.8%
- Very small country, roughly the size of Maryland plus Delaware.
- Second most densely populated nation in the world (640 people per sq-km).
- High per capita purchasing power ($35,700).
- U.S. and China are largest trading partners, China is largest export destination for Taiwanese products (about 45% in 2010).
Market Growth Potential
- Stagnant population growth and aging.
- Population growth near replacement level and falling.
- By 2025 persons over the age of 65 will make up 20% of the population.
- Will always be a net importer of food/agricultural products.
- Farm land competing with housing.
- WTO membership has increased competition.